Sunday, February 05, 2012

UnTolerate Me

Long back in school , somewhere during a drowzy post lunch class I was taught about this Degree of Tolerance(DOT). I was told - The fishes in the sea had different levels of DOT for salinity(salt). Some of them were able to sustain high salinity level, and could be seen around many parts of the ocean. Some of them lacked this DOT or in other words they are so sensitive to salt level that they can not survive in most parts of the sea. Increase the salinity level a bit, and they die. Obviously i was vouching for those species with more DOT - a quality attributed to some high degree of evolution - or simply highly evolved species with ability to live in any condition.

Years passed and today I felt I belong to one of the speices with the highest DOT. It gave me the ability to live in a society that is very salty - highly polluted environments, garbage dump all around, streets flooded with sewage, bumpy roads, noisy traffic, indisciplined people - and instead of resisting any of these, I slowly developed DOT to adapt myself to such things. The DOT made me so numb to anything happening around. I went too far that even when someone stole 17k crores - I could do nothing.

Remember the domestic Sparrows - the birds which were very common once but are hardly visible around any more - thanks to development of science like mobile phones and concrete ceilings. They had the courage to perish when their environments are salinated. I wish I had that zero DOT where I Resist or Die rather than developing tolerance to polluted society.

A stern warning that came two thousand years ago and was long forgotten:

மயிர்நீப்பின் வாழாக் கவரிமா அன்னார்
உயிர்நீப்பர் மானம் வரின்

Can I reverse my DOT?

1 comment:

Velraj said...

Arumai nanba.. initially I felt like fishes with high DOT were superior.. but towards the end, I felt different!.. I never expected you to end the story with ThirukkuRal !.. Way to go!